Well so far, I’ve got to say that 60 feels pretty damn good. Amazing, in fact. In my last post I wrote about Waking Up and I’m 60! so I wanted to share some photos from the birthday party on Saturday night.
You know it’s been a great party when everyone tells you it was one of the most fun parties they’ve been to in a long time. And the really beautiful thing about getting older is that the importance of an age number just drops away. Saturday night we had people there ranging from age 28 to almost 75. Lesson: Parties are a lot of fun when you have a variety of people, just add wine and the dancing will prove it!
Here’s some other things I learned about throwing a big party:
- For a large crowd, if you want to use plastic plates and plastic utensils that you can throw away, no one will mind if you serve enough wine.
- Just when you think you have enough wine, add 12 more bottles.
- Have more food than you think you will need. You gotta have something to absorb all that wine.
- Nothing will get people out on the dance floor like music from the 80s. Guaranteed. Lots of smiles and laughter also guaranteed to follow.
- Make sure someone else is assigned to get some great photos, because you’ll be too busy dancing and drinking wine.
- If you need more room, just decorate your garage. Pin up some burlap to cover up your gardening tools, add a few lamps and chairs, and a large table. To hold all the wine, of course.
- When the bar is in the garage, no one will care that they are in the garage.
- There is nothing more fun than having your adult children at your own birthday party.
- When it’s 2 a.m. and you can’t stand up on your aching feet any more, you just have to make people go home.
Above all, it’s the laughter and the smiles that I remember the most. And it’s always fun to include a little magic.